Assistant Club Manager
Company: BJ's Wholesale Club
Posted on: November 26, 2022
Join a team of more than 32,000 team members, comprised of our
home office and over 229 clubs and 7 distribution centers. We're
committed to delivering value and convenience to our Members,
helping them save every day on everything they need for their
family and home. BJ's Wholesale Club offers a collaborative,
team-oriented environment where all team members can learn, grow
Working closely with the Club Manager, the Assistant Club Manager
is responsible for providing leadership and direction within the
club and driving club performance, particularly for the departments
that he/she directly manages. Responsible for leading the front
end/member service, OMNI, tire bay, gas station, merchandising,
receiving, establishing operational efficiencies, maintaining
policies and procedures, delivering a positive service experience
to Members, and providing leadership and direction within the
The manager is responsible to function as the Manager on Duty (MOD)
as assigned. While MOD, the manager has responsibility to manage
the entire Club, including all Club departments, to ensure
excellent Member engagement, to address all concerns brought to the
MOD's attention, and to escalate any concerns, as appropriate. The
manager could be assigned as MOD 50% or more of the manager's
scheduled shifts. Acts as a key holder for the club.
- Know their business/business acumen. Exhibit strategic thinking
and sound decision-making thorough knowledge and utilization of
- Lead through change. Model leadership competencies, build
credibility and act as a champion for business growth.
- Communicate effectively. Provide the information teams require
to be successful.
- Build high performing teams by creating a culture of
collaboration. Provide honest and timely direction, follow up and
feedback that will drive business results and support team member
- Deliver results. Execute business expectations within expected
timeframes by setting clear expectations, utilizing follow up and
accountability. Team Members:
- Teach, coach and lead through the club level training process.
Support team member engagement within all areas of responsibility
to enable the application of policies, procedures and
- Drive a culture of development, strategic thinking and acting,
ethical decision making and engagement. Lead with the team member
and member in mind to address all concerns and to escalate any
concerns, as appropriate.
- Ensure a safe and positive environment and experience for the
- Embrace inclusion and diversity, by working together with
collaboration and respect. Acknowledge team member success, work as
a team to achieve goals, identify and retain top talent. Members:
- Guarantee service excellence through all points of
- Set service standard expectations for all team members. Provide
team support and empowerment to resolve every member concern.
- Ensure a safe and positive environment and experience for the
- Daily commitment to GOLD Member Standards
- Greet, Anticipate, Appreciate (GAA)
- Fast, Friendly Full, Fresh, Clean Club Standards: Lead teams to
deliver GOLD club standards daily.
- Define and model GOLD- Grand opening look daily
- All items stocked, and promotional plans executed
- Maintain visible accurate signage
- Clean and organized, inside and out
- Perishable areas stocked and rotated with cold chain maintained
Know Your Business:
- Acquire a deep knowledge of key metrics and reporting for total
club and department performance
- Drive performance and profitability by using reporting to
identify trends and areas of opportunity
- Have the foresight to see a breakdown in process and correct it
before it negatively impacts club performance metrics
- Communicate a simple message to your team on the connection
between consistent operational performance and achieving club
financial targets Major Tasks, Responsibilities, and Key
- Effectively leads the team by managing with vision and purpose,
clearly communicating, and giving direction, and validating
results. Creates a club culture where team members feel challenged,
know how to be successful, are encouraged to do their best, and are
recognized for their accomplishments.
- Manages talent and builds a strong bench by encouraging team
member growth and development, holding team members accountable,
having difficult conversations, and providing honest and actionable
- Learns quickly and adapts to change. Effectively communicates
to team members to enable them to do their jobs effectively by
sharing necessary information, explaining the "why's", and keeping
- Exhibits strong decision-making capabilities that align with
the Company's strategic priorities and support the achievement of
club operational goals and objectives.
- Controls operating costs and establishes operational
efficiencies. Implement new concepts to maximize
- Embraces the Company's core values / purpose and ensures team
members do the same. Creates a great shopping experience for
members that is dedicated to exceeding member expectations.
- Attains planned sales volume through effective supervision of
warehouse management and communication with the Home Office.
- Ensures operational efficiencies, processes, and productivity
standards are executed with 100% adherence to established SOP
within the front line/member service, merchandising, recovery,
omni, receiving, tire bay, and gas station departments.
- With the club management team, responsible for achieving
financial targets including sales, profit, and performance. Reviews
budgets, plans and P&L to ensure achievement of key targets
relative to sales, MFI, profits, and performance.
- Provides leadership and direction, and manages day-to-day
operations, of the front line/member service, tire bay, gas
station, merchandising and receiving. Escalates issues as
appropriate to Home Office or General Manager as needed.
- Responsible for the effective communication of departmental
activities and Home Office initiatives to club Team Members, club
management and club support teams.
- Maintains deep understanding of club policies and procedures
across all areas of the club.
- Directly manages Night Manager, Receiving Supervisor, OMNI, and
Service Supervisors. Assesses Team Member performance, provides
actionable feedback and coaches, teaches, and develops talent.
Assists in hiring, training, and performance management.
- Leads Night Manager to manage merchandise display and signing
processes and ensures adequate inventory levels are maintained to
achieve sales goals. Leads merchandise team to ensure overnight
shifts are led as efficiently as possible and to identify
merchandising sales growth opportunities.
- Leads OMNI Supervisor to manage OMNI department including
BOPIC, curbside and ship from club. Ensures the team has the OMNI
tools required to support OMNI goals and execution.
- Leads and manages the receiving department operations.
- Oversees Club Self Audits and, tire bay, gas station, receiving
and maintenance departments to measure and ensure compliance with
policies, procedures, regulations, and laws.
- Continually monitors member service levels as well as
engagement to ensures a positive service experience is delivered to
- Responsible for the proper maintenance and working order of the
building, equipment, furniture, and fixtures within the club and
for the departments that he/she manages.
- Monitors BJ's MY WORK to ensure that all Home Office tasks, and
product liabilities are actioned within compliance and in a timely
- Maintains all club policies and procedures.
- Performs other duties as assigned, including working in other
departments as needed.
- Regular, predictable, full attendance is an essential function
of this job. Qualifications:
- 4+ years of experience as a retail store, supermarket, or
warehouse operations manager required.
- A strong drive for results and solid work ethic is required.
Must be honest, straight-forward and committed to providing high
levels of service to members.
- Excellent communication skills required. Must be able to lead
and motivate a large team.
- Solid understanding of shrink controls, staff development,
merchandising, customer service, problem solving, and conflict
- Demonstrated leadership capabilities, including
managing/supervising cross-functional teams, training team members,
and driving and communicating results.
- Knowledge of store operations, membership, front-line, gas
station, tire bay, maintenance, receiving, and omni procedures
- Completion of company training program preferred.
- High school diploma and/or college degree preferred.
- Basic computer knowledge (MS Word, MS Excel, Email)
- Forklift operator required.
- Open shift availability required.
- At least 18 years of age. Job Conditions:
- Most of the time is spent moving about frequently on hard
surfaces. There may be a need to occasionally position oneself to
examine or scan merchandise, including bending, handling, pulling,
reaching, and/or stooping.
- Frequently requires lifting objects up to 30 pounds. May
require lifting and moving heavy and/or awkward objects more than
30 pounds with assistance. . click apply for full job details
Keywords: BJ's Wholesale Club, Leominster , Assistant Club Manager, Executive , Leominster, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!