RN, Med Surg, 24hr ,Evenings
Company: UMass Memorial Health Care
Posted on: January 22, 2023
Title: Registered Nurse (RN)
Department: Med Surg Unit
Requisition #: 232507
Shift: 3:00pm to 11:30pm including every other weekend and
Posting Date: 6/17/2022
Location: Leominster Campus
HealthAlliance-Clinton Hospital is part of the UMass Memorial
Health Care system. Serving northern central Massachusetts, we are
committed to improving the health of people through excellence in
care and comprehensive health services. By exploring careers with
us, you are committed to giving your best to our patients, our
community and everyone working on our HealthAlliance-Clinton
Hospital Care Team. Whatever your career choice, know that at
HealthAlliance-Clinton Hospital you can make a difference.
The Registered Nurse is responsible for the planning, delivery and
management of direct patient care using the nursing process and
adhering to the standards of nursing practice within a specific
unit or clinical area.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
Nursing Process: Utilizes the nursing process for the delivery and
management of patient's care.
* Maintains assignment of patients and caseload according to unit
guidelines and established standards of practice.
* Uses positive customer service skills when communicating with
patient and patient's family.
* Utilizes the nursing process for the delivery and management of
the patient's care.
* Utilizes clinical reasoning and critical thinking.
* Involves patient, family/significant others and other disciplines
in decision making related to the patient's plan of care.
* Serves as a patient and family advocate.
* Implements interventions consistent with hospital standards of
practice and prescribed medical plan of care and evidence based
* Documents the patient assessment, plan of care, and response to
intervention. Meets all unit documentation standards.
* Communicates and coordinates the patient's plan of care to ensure
continuity of care.
* Maintains competency in management of clinical emergencies.
* Provides complete communications in SBAR format (Situation,
background, assessment, recommendations) to relieving staff members
and demonstrates advanced planning for the patient.
* Navigates through the critical elements of the patient medical
record software and HealthAlliance-Clinton Hospital Intranet.
Clinical Practice: Demonstrates/applies the skill and judgment
necessary to implement the medical/nursing plan of care, nursing
interventions and procedures necessary for the care of the
* Bases clinical practice on evidence, unit guidelines, and
professional standards to improve the quality of care and to guide
* Demonstrates essential knowledge of pharmacology/medications in
administering drugs and monitoring the patient's response.
* Maintains competency with technology and equipment. Utilizes
equipment in a safe manner.
* Uses appropriate infection control and safety practices in all
* Acts as a charge nurse as requested by the nursing management
* Delegates responsibilities to others according to Massachusetts
general laws and practice guidelines with an understanding of their
roles, knowledge and capabilities.
* Facilitates cooperative and collaborative relationships among the
various disciplines and departments to ensure effective quality
* Works weekends, holidays and off-shifts as required by unit
Climate: Influences others by establishing a climate for optimal
patient care, mutually supportive collegial relationships and
* Holds self accountable for professional practice.
* Presents self in a calm and professional manner and effectively
verbalizes relevant problems during daily interactions, and/or
* Interacts and copes effectively with diverse populations in
stressful situations resulting from trauma and illness.
* Participates in performance improvement activities utilizing
principles to support and improve patient care.
* Demonstrates knowledge of unit goals and is active in committees
and projects to achieve these goals.
* Attends and actively participates in staff meetings. Accepts
responsibility for reading staff meeting minutes when not able to
* Keeps current with literature regarding changing practices,
interventions and best practices in patient care.
* Assumes responsibility for seeking out educational and
professional opportunities for personal learning needs and
* Assumes responsibility for meeting mandatory education
requirements and unit specific education and competencies.
* Acts as a preceptor as requested.
Job duties for all positions:
* The individual must support the mission, vision, and goals of
HealthAlliance Hospitals and serve as a role model for the CARES-
It Happens Here customer service initiative.
* Demonstrates excellent work attendance and attends and actively
participates in a variety of meetings and training sessions as
* Demonstrates a friendly, responsive, service-minded attitude to
* Communicates ideas effectively. Shares information and keeps
others properly informed. Gives, and is open to useful
* Adheres to the HealthAlliance-Clinton Hospital Code of Conduct
and Behavior Standards. Complies with established policies and
procedures and all health and safety requirements.
* Maintains, and fosters, a clean, safe work environment.
* Actively contributes to the development and application of
* Maintains a collaborative, team relationship with peers and
colleagues in order to effectively contribute to the group's
achievement of goals and to help foster a positive work
* Demonstrates respect for the diversity of patient and employee
populations. Supports and encourages diverse points of view, work
* Practices cost containment and fiscal responsibility through the
efficient use of supplies, equipment, time, etc.
* Performs a variety of related duties as assigned.
JOB KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
* Possesses and applies the skills and knowledge necessary to
provide care to patients throughout the life span, with
consideration of aging process, human development stages and
cultural patterns in each step of the care process.
* Ability to provide care for a designated group of patients
according to the unit guidelines and hospital policies, procedures
* Ability to lead, guide and motivate staff.
* Ability to read, write and speak clearly in English.
Must be a graduate of a recognized school of Nursing
A Bachelor's degree (BSN) in Nursing is preferred.
2-3 years of Nursing experience preferred.
An equivalent combination of education and experience, which
provides proficiency in the areas of responsibility listed above,
may be substituted for the above education and experience
Must have a current Massachusetts Registered Nurse License.
Certification in a nursing specialty desired.
Keywords: UMass Memorial Health Care, Leominster , RN, Med Surg, 24hr ,Evenings, Healthcare , Leominster, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!