College Students - Plant Ecology Internship
Company: Student Conservation Association (SCA)
Posted on: June 17, 2018
Field data collection and management
- Individually, or as a crew member, conducts field botanical projects. Conducts surveys for vascular (grasses, forbs,
shrubs and trees) and non-vascular plants (including lichens, bryophytes and fungi).
- For forest and range monitoring, duties include collecting vegetation data, including identifying species, measuring
individual plant characteristics, estimating plant cover, and measuring plant biomass. Follows accepted procedures
normally used when identifying plants, plant communities, and conducting vegetation surveys. Uses botanical keys
to identify unfamiliar plants encountered in the field.
- Identifies native and exotic plants in a field and laboratory setting using a dichotomous key to determine genus,
species, variety, and sub-species
- Collects and organizes data as part of a research or resource management project according to instructions and
- Uses cameras to photograph and record treated areas and/or prospective areas for treatment.
- Uses and maintains equipment used in basic forestry practice, such as compasses, clinometers, measuring tapes, diameter tapes, GPS units, data sheets, etc.
Invasive exotic species management
- Identifies invasive exotic plants.
- Performs exotic plant treatments through chemical, manual and mechanical methods.
- Performs invasive weed management activities using integrated pest management approaches.
Computer equipment and software programs
- Uses GPS equipment such as Trimble or Garmin units for navigation and mapping of plant populations.
- Uses computer software programs, such as Microsoft O---ce Suite (or comparable) to record, organize,
analyze, display, and report field data.
- Uses, maintains and organizes computer databases.
- Uses the internet to research issues and communicate with others.
- Asks questions and communicates concerns or issues as they arise to supervisor.
- Provides information to other employees and visitors about the natural resource management program; refers unusual questions to the supervisor. May develop and present related interpretive programs to the public.
Keywords: Student Conservation Association (SCA), Leominster, College Students - Plant Ecology Internship, Professions, Pawtucket, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!